Sunday, February 14, 2010

"Burden of Proof" A writer's journey...

You live and you learn.  I have embarked an a great publishing adventure and at times it's not easy.  It's tested my sanity and I've had to learn NOT to take things personally, but rather to grow as a writer and work on improving on my skill set.   I have had a lot of positive feedback on "Burden of Proof," however I've also been met with a lot of negativity.  I am sensitive in nature and pick up on negative vibes - which is NOT a good thing.  I feel God is testing me with each negative comment or hiccup in life's road to become stronger in faith and to grow in spirit.

I have taken all the negative comments to use constructively in my approach as a writer.  My goal in writing is for others to enjoy the story I've created.  I don't did this for money or fame, but rather because I have a passion for writing.  I enjoy words and creating sentences into paragraphs into stories.  I can only hope someone enjoys the story I create.

"Burden of Proof" has been a project I've taken on post-graduation as a way to practice the skills I've learned and promote a story I enjoyed authoring.  However I'll admit I've stumbled along the way.  First off: Galley copies with numerous typos sent to reviewers - that equal bad marks on the Amazon Star column.  However the negative comments made me focus on how I might make the story better and that's something positive.

I believe in the plot structure and characters of my story, however I'm also open to constructive criticism.  I've authored a book and a half (I'm almost done with the follow-up to "Burden of Proof" and the learning curve and my writing style continues to improve.

It's funny that the reviewer on Amazon complained about my detail not being enough and in college I was always told that I was too descriptive.  I guess there is a happy medium somewhere.  

I won't be discouraged, but rather gather my resiliency and work to better my craft as a writer...


P.S.  The second edition of "Burden of Proof" is being released this week with a New Cover and some slight changes to the manuscript (mostly typographical and typesetting issues).

I am now confident in the work and it's merit as a thriller.  I feel personally that the book's plot is topical as I gathered many plot points from real life.  I appreciate anyone who supports me on this writing journey.  



No comments:

Post a Comment